Trump White House Ballroom Construction Continues in Washington 2026

Evening Washington
Trump White House Ballroom Construction Continues in Washington 2026
Credit: Google Maps/nytimes.com

Key Points

  • Construction is continuing on the planned White House ballroom in Washington, D.C., on the site of the former East Wing.
  • Reuters’ Kevin Lamarque photographed President Donald Trump at the site on 19 May 2026, showing the project under way.
  • The ballroom is described as a major expansion project for the White House grounds and has been linked to a 90,000-square-foot plan.
  • Reuters has reported that Trump has said the ballroom’s scheduled opening would be around September 2028.
  • The project has been the subject of legal and political scrutiny, with earlier reporting noting court challenges and approvals from planning bodies.
  • The East Wing was demolished to make way for the new ballroom project, according to Reuters and other reporting.

Washington (Evening Washington News) May 19, 2026 – Construction at the site of the planned White House ballroom is continuing in the area of the former East Wing, with Reuters images showing President Donald Trump visiting the site on Tuesday.

As reported by Reuters photographer Kevin Lamarque, the scene showed the project in active development at the White House in Washington, D.C., with Trump gesturing at the construction area. Reuters previously reported that the ballroom project is intended to replace the former East Wing site and form part of a wider modernisation effort at the White House.

The ballroom has become one of the most closely watched alterations to the White House complex in years because of its scale and timing. Reuters has described it as a 90,000-square-foot project, while the White House has said the planned ballroom will have a seated capacity of 650 and a total capacity of 1,000 for larger events.

Why is the ballroom being built?

According to White House material and Reuters reporting, the ballroom is being built to expand formal entertaining space at the presidential residence.

The White House says the new space will improve the site’s ability to host state visits and major events.

Reuters reported that the project is being presented by the Trump administration as a major upgrade to the White House grounds.

The White House has also said construction began in September 2025 and is expected to finish before the end of Trump’s term.

Trump has said the project is ahead of schedule and has indicated a target opening around September 2028.

What have officials said about the project?

Reuters reported that the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts approved Trump’s ballroom proposal in February 2026, which marked an important planning step.

However, the project has also faced legal action, including a court ruling that temporarily halted work before an appeals court allowed construction to continue pending further review.

The White House has defended the demolition of the East Wing and the scale of the new ballroom by arguing that renovation would have been less practical.

Reuters and other outlets have also reported that the administration has said the ballroom is to be funded through private sources.

What are the key figures and features?

Reuters and White House information give a consistent picture of the project’s scale and design. The ballroom is planned at about 90,000 square feet, with space for up to 1,000 people at larger functions and a seated capacity of 650.

The White House has said the structure will be built on the former East Wing site and linked to the existing residence.

The project has also been described as one of the most significant physical changes to the White House in decades.

Reuters has reported that the administration sees it as a major enhancement to the residence’s event space, while critics and preservation groups have raised concerns about the demolition and approval process.

Background of the development

The White House ballroom project emerged as part of a broader Trump-era effort to reshape the presidential complex.

Reuters reported earlier in 2026 that Washington planning authorities and the U.S.

Commission of Fine Arts were reviewing the project, while the White House maintained that the new ballroom would be privately funded and aimed at improving facilities for major events.

The East Wing was later demolished to clear space for the project, triggering legal and political challenges from preservationists and others who argued that the administration had moved ahead too aggressively.

Reuters and other outlets reported that the dispute then moved into the courts, where judges weighed whether construction could continue while the case was being heard.

Prediction

For the White House and the Trump administration, the development is likely to remain a high-profile issue because it combines construction, politics and heritage concerns. For the public and Washington observers, the project may continue to draw attention as long as court challenges, design decisions and completion timelines remain in dispute.

For audiences interested in heritage preservation, the ballroom will probably stay controversial because of the demolition of the East Wing and the scale of the new structure. For those focused on presidential events and state functions, the project could eventually provide larger formal space if it is completed on schedule.